Tuesday, June 20, 2006
The Game Plan
Well, the contemporary history of football spans more than 100 years.
It all began in 1863 in England, when rugby football and association football
branched off on their different courses and the world's first football association
was founded - The Football Association in England.
Nevertheless, the fact remains that playing a ball with the feet has been going
on for thousands of years and there is absolutely no reason to believe that it
is an aberration of the more "natural" form of playing a ball with the hands.
No other sporting event captures the world's imagination like the FIFA World Cup.
Ever since the first tentative competition in Uruguay in 1930, FIFA's flagship
has constantly grown in popularity and prestige.
And do you know that the Second World War put the competition to a 12-year stop?
When it resumed, the FIFA World Cup rapidly advanced to its undisputed status
as the greatest single sporting event of the modern world.
Today, the FIFA World Cup holds the entire global public under its spell.
An accumulated audience of over like kazillion of people watched the France 98
tournament. Finally, after all these years and so many changes, however,
the main focus of the FIFA World Cup remains the same - the glistening golden
trophy, which is the embodiment of every footballer's ambition.
How about we imagine the world WITHOUT 'IT'?
There would be No Ronaldinho.
No Beckham.
No Zidane.
No whoever else that are popular.
As in we don't even know who the hell they are!
All men are probably into american football or basketball.
No FIFA means no football-crazed fans that goes 'OMFG' about the matches.
Siglap would be so kental.
There are no compliments about Mrs Goh who could juggle her time being
a mum and a Siglap teacher who's in charge of soccer.
Farhandy would be a nobody.
All girls would probably be so girly-girly and be LESS outgoing.
No soccer boots.
No soccer fields.
No soccer balls.
No cool soccer-stunt-advertisements that promotes Nike/Adidas.
The world wouldn't be so united.
I would be a NOBODY.
I wouldn't be that recent 'most promising striker' of Siglap. (EHEM!)
I wouldn't discover the talent that I have.
I wouldn't know those sec 1s, 2s, 3s students who play soccer.
I wouldn't be that sociable.
Probably there would be lesser tomboys?
I think because from what I observe the girls in the Nationals, most of them are.
There's just too much to say!
So, soccer really have a deep impact on our lives and the way we live.
ready for love at 12:22 AM.